The chocolate brownie.
An absolute classic that never goes out of style, but is totally open to re-invention, and has been in every shape, colour, size and flavour!
We wanted an indulgent classic with innocence and came up with this as a nutritious MAWish take on the naughty classic. We pushed the boundaries with the amount of cacao to get the richest taste, but also added a little espresso for depth and our liquid balance blend to reap the benefits of MACA.
- 60g oats
- 150ml oat milk
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 100g plain flour
- 100g melted dark chocolate (70% and above)
- 30g hemp seeds
- 3 egg whites
- ½ medium courgette (peeled and grated)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp liquid balance
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp instant coffee mix with a little water
- Butter/oil (to grease tray)
Do not worry if you haven't got all of the ingredients! Here are some swaps you could make!
- Swap the cacao powder for unsweetened cocoa powder, essentially the same thing but has gone through a little more processing.
- Protein powder- we use a vegan vanilla protein from Prozis, and this adds the sweetness and helps balance out the macronutrients but any protein powder will work and is a great thing to have in the cupboard.
- Spelt flour- any flour is absolutely fine but we prefer wholemeal, rye or spelt.
- Feel free to get creative- try adding a handful of raspberries, nuts or dark choc chips.
If you have a blender then perfect! If not this is also fine done by hand.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/ Fan 180°C/ Gas mark 6. Line and grease a baking tray using parchment paper and butter/oil.
- Sift flour and add dry ingredients to blender or bowl. Blitz or stir till combined.
- Add wet ingredients and blitz or fold to incorporate into the bowl.
- Pour into the lined baking tray and drizzle with peanut butter and chopped nuts/choc drops if using.
- Bake for approximately 20 mins. You will be able to tell when the brownies are done as they will subtly bounce back when pressed.
- Serve warm or leave for a day for flavours to enhance even more.
Approx 150-200 kcal per brownie
Enjoy and tag us in any of the recipes you create - would love to see! @mawish.food