Whilst working from home, these are such a great staple to have in the kitchen and can be eaten as a quick breakfast with a scoop of yoghurt, mid afternoon when you need a pick me up or warmed up with a little custard for a yummy dessert!
They are a healthy take on the traditional butter and sugar laden flapjack, the scoop of protein helps to balance out the macronutrients and the added liquid gold helps to improve their nutritional value!
- 100g rolled oats
- 1 scoop (30g) vanilla protein powder
- 30g flax seeds
- 30g chia seeds
- 130g medjool dates (pitted, soaked and chopped)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp agave nectar
- 2 tsp liquid gold
- Butter/oil (to grease tray)
- 3 tbsp dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 170°C/ Fan 150°C/ Gas mark 4. Line and grease a baking tray using parchment paper and butter/oil.
- Add all dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Put the dates into a bowl and cover with boiling water until soft.
- Melt the agave nectar and coconut oil in the microwave for a minute, stir and add to the dry ingredients
- Drain the soaked dates and add them to the mixture.
- Mix until all of the dry ingredients are coated with the oil and agave nectar.
- Pour all of the mixture into the greased baking tray.
- Press the mixture down firmly all over so that the mixture is packed together tightly before baking.
- Bake for around 20 minutes.
- Allow the flapjack to cool in the tray before transferring to the fridge for 4-5 hours. You'll then be able to slice the bars into approximately 12 pieces before drizzling over the melted dark chocolate.